Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Time keeps on slipping...

As the move date approaches I'm being constantly reminded of the things I will miss, and the reasons I am leaving. I'm not sure I would describe the last few years in Sacramento as a waste, exactly, but I probably should have left before now. It's tough to find an opportunity that you aren't looking for and I wasn't considering moving some place like Maine, or really, some place like anywhere but Sacramento, even though I probably should have been. California has very little to offer me aside from variety and fresh fruit, but in my stubbornness had convinced myself that there was really no other place for me to go. Shoulda figured out that was wrong a few years ago.

There will be plenty of people and places I'll miss, but what I'll miss more is the chance to lead a fulfilled life that moving to Maine could bring to me. I'm lucky that I don't have kids which would really damper a move like this, it's hard enough with a dog. It's only too bad that it took me 31 years to get a chance like this.

I'm going to have to rely on that same stubbornness that kept me back to keep me going as the miles pass by, as the snow piles up, as the dog freaks out like only she can to keep me going strong in such an alien place as far eastern Maine. I'm nervous but confident. The people I met in my short time visiting Maine lead me to believe I can do really well there, I'll just have to weather the tough patches that are sure to come. People rarely succeed without effort. You read about sports stars, writers, or other successful people who came from nothing but succeeded by sheer force of effort, by focusing on their dreams and doing whatever it took to make it, that's who I'm going to have to be and I'm ready to be that.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with your move! This sounds like a cool adventure. Here's a tip for living in Maine...Embrace The Snow! Get a pair of snow shoes from LL Bean. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Penny, that is a great idea. I am forbidden skiing but will go out on the shoes. I happen to live about 4 miles from Beans mother-ship. S

    ReplyDelete